I am often accused of wanting and needing credit for a player's success. I am also accused of always needing to be right. (tell me which of you are happy being wrong). I recently was accused of thinking I know more than everyone else. (Well, I've done things they haven't and therefore I mostly likely do).

My accusers offer the 'humble' act. They play Mr. Humble. They say it isn't about them, it's about their players. They say the player put in the work, they didn't. The player deserves all the credit. They are just happy to help. Yada yada yada.

Let me ask the Mr Humble's a question? Are you really humble? Or is it an act? Are you humble or are you avoiding accountability? Do you avoid taking credit so you can also avoid having to take responsibility?. Are you uncertain in your teaching? Do you have doubts?

To each his own, but I feel obligated to bring up the full argument. I feel obligated to expose what is the full truth.

Who do you want to teach you? The guy with so much knowledge, confidence, experience AND DRIVE, that he will jump in the foxhole with you and together you'll figure out the flaw? Or the guy who just put his time in and can't be found when you're in need? The guy who fails with you when you fail....it's we not you? Or the guy who is suddenly absent? They guy who feels a responsibility to you because of your commitment to him? Or Mr. FlyByNite who disguises himself as Mr. Humble?

It is a CLEAR SIGNAL when a coach won't debate swing mechanics. It is a CLEAR SIGNAL that he is unsure of himself. It is a CLEAR SIGNAL that getting to the full truth and nothing but the truth is not his goal. Why would anyone want anything other than the truth? How often have you heard a coach ask their players to compete? Be a competitor. Out compete the opponent. Yet.....the very same coach won't compete in the battle of ideas.

My hitting knowledge came from a 'have to have it' drive. It came from a willingness to do what others won't. It came from the constant badgering of other advice givers, trying to get them to defend their theories. Most couldn't. The others wouldn't. Yet, they still give advice.

Choose your instructor wisely.