Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Brandon's Journey Continues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    Good stuff - I gotta ask though..............what's up with the extra batting gloves in the back pocket?
    Strategically placed they serve as counter balances. This is well known in hitting circles across the country. They assist with turning of the lower body.
    Get them off center just a tad in the back pockets and nothing works right.

Could just be superstition too. (Naw, not from ballplayers)

Comment

• Game day and another well hit ball. Single against a good pitcher.

I love how deep he hits the ball.

Comment

• I really like how his back looks in this clip. Strong load, and he holds it until the fire. The Stretch is working well.

Comment

• Hitless tonight. First at bat....a little slack present due to trapped hands....ground out to the 2B.

Next at bat....this absolute rope that just about took the 3B head off.

Third at bat....K.....that dreaded change up.

He said it didn't feel right at the end of the last game and the first at bat this game. He diagnosed it himself. Proud of that.

Hands were getting too far back behind/around the corner....they had to move to a new position before the hands could turn the barrel. Slack. Slop. No rhythm. Not smooth. Not crisp. No cusp.

Hands more "out over the plate" or "out in front of him".......all energy/load/movement goes into the forearms to turn the barrel.

POW.

I am proud of this kids ability to hit opposite field. And hit it hard. I/We took some slack when he was in high school because he rarely pulled the ball. At his stage of development then, I was perfectly fine with it. He hits the ball deep and I believe it's much easier to learn to pull from there than to learn to go oppo from the pull swing.

The game has always been fun for him, with a little bit (lotta bit) of stress due to the ongoing instruction and hopes and expectations that come out of all the workouts. But, this summer, he is having a blast. He feels like he belongs. He expects to get a hit every time up instead of hoping something good happens. He is no longer surprised when he gets a hit...instead he's surprised if he doesn't hit it hard. It's been a long but worthwhile journey.

He is approaching his potential. And that is all you can hope for.

The swing plane he is having success with reminds me of Manny.

Comment

• We have a had a great Thu - Sun. Regular league on Thu and a tournament in KC this weekend.

Brandon was 5 for 8 with 1 HR, a triple, 3 singles, 3 walks and 7 or 8 rbi's over 4 games against quality pitching.

His HR was hit out of a slow pitch field probably 275'-300'..........with a softball. An absolute bomb......and I didn't get video because I was on deck.

Brad had football coaching responsibilities so he couldn't make the tournament.

A couple of these swings aren't the greatest. However, a serendipity of having a pretty decent swing is you hit the "other ones" harder than you used to and they go through.

Comment

• Great looking stuff !!!!

Now I would try to shorten him up by getting axis up a little/more level, but without forgetting what he learned swinging more diagonally. He really needs this for the FP type zone with lots of high stuff/heaters plus more ability to stop forward axis setup and lean back for offspeed.

Comment

• Remember these...

...against the best pitcher in St. Louis....actually arguably the best in Missouri and maybe the best in the region.

Well well........looky here my dear...

The first one is a one hop to the center field fence for a triple. The second is a rope down the third base line for a double. He said he was looking change up and still was able to catch up enough.

...against that same pitcher. He is ecstatic. Success. Against the best.

Comment

• Great stuff.

Also no more freezing on the outside corner on that hit down the 3B line. Those days are long gone.

Comment

• Great swings! The pronounced front shoulder tilt new?
                    Originally posted by HiddenGem
                    Mark H, is a retard..plain and simple. He doesn't know the first thing about swinging a bat, and his video analyisis is pathetic at best. God help the poor souls that take any advice from that clown.

Comment

• His swings are getting so much better............

What would happen if he learns to get off his back side?

Comment

• WOW!!!

OMG... look at that lead shoulder pull the frame at contact and just after... STRONG! (1st swing)

Nice Job, TM & Brandon!

Comment

• OMG.......We have 3 fields at our complex. One pure softball field (250' fence all the way around), one pure baseball field, and one tweener.

We played on the tweener tonight......290' down the right field line. Brandon hit this ball on the street 10-20' beyond the fence.

I've played in this park since I was in my 20's. I've only seen one other ball hit out of right field by a fastpitch player......he was a linebacker for the University of Missouri....very well built.....very powerful.

Brandon had 5 hits in a doubleheader.....a triple down the left field line and 3 line drive singles....sprayed all over the field.

Comment

• Easy to have intent when your not in a knot! really loose stroke
                            The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by swingbuilder View Post
                              Easy to have intent when your not in a knot! really loose stroke
                              Wait you don't need to get tied up first???

Great job Brandon !!!
                              I'm glad to hear he pulled one.

Comment

• Gotta say I like that rip. Looks a little more loaded outside the helmet than in some of the other clips.

Comment

Working...
                                X