Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Rear leg drive and more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear leg drive and more...

Just trying to write down the random thoughts in my head and see if people can help make more sense of them.

Rear leg drive: I am beginning to hate that description. It can mean so many different things, and I think 9 out of 10 people think of it as the rear leg pushing off the ground...

Rear leg driven swing: The last few days, to me, I keep thinking this term is just not a perfect description. I have said that the rear leg i.r.s' and the back is resisting. I am starting to feel more like the leg is resisting the back continually pulling back, if I had to put a measure on it. There is the battle in the rear hip...and maybe it really isn't important what action is more, the rear leg or the back....well....I guess I am just feeling like I am understanding more what the back should do, and am a bit excited about it.

Bring me back in if I am drifting off course.

I have been feeling like a powerful pull back against a resisting leg almost better describes it.

I have been intrigued for years as to what makes Fielder so quick and powerful:

Finally for now....the forums have had posters focusing so much on arm action, particularly what the rear elbow is doing...."pinched....getting through...power v....blah blah".....Yes I see that happens, I see it when you take a still pic out of a swing, but, right now, for me, I just don't feel like it is a priority, and for some reason it is bugging me that some others think it is.

Just my thoughts...right or wrong...please, everyone share yours.

RHC - I make it a priority (rear arm) because IMO it is. Direction is important and backwards chaining is a tried and true approach. IE - here is where you hope to be after contact - here is what needs to happen to get there - here is how you set it up. take a swing - did you get there after contact? Why not? OK, watch my back arm. Did yours do that? Or did it follow your body around? Why? How about we launch the barrel away from RC - and use our forearms more instead of just rotating our shoulders? Etc, etc....

Maybe I am wired differently then you, but it makes more sense to me to know where I should be and backwards chain off that....the out from launch didn't make sense (physically) until I actually started with the bat and arms fully out stretched and worked in from there and I could see my elbow work past my rib cage.

And in teaching in a team environment in season you don't have time with each player as in an off season routine....focus on the rear arm is a start to back in from....

just my 2 cents since I have been posting a lot on the rear arm on DFP and figured your post was somewhat directed at me.

Comment

Here is recent swing of mine just trying to get through the ball and go oppo.

A little tip to it

In training with our HS team we try and do a lot of oppo tee work and you would be amazed how hard it is for some of them to hit directionally even off a tee.

Comment

This is my sense:

When the ruler is twisted, say a half turn, a primary coil is set. These may be represented by the coiling in the rear hip socket and initial pull backs in the rear scapula during the load. Further coiling occurs in the overlap creating a secondary coil. The ruler "shortens" as a arc forms. A "coil of the coil" if you will, develops when further pull back, scap pinching and lateral tilt ensue until such a time the hands release for the swivel at the top of the assembly.

When the fellow above releases the top hand, the bottom hand maintains the assembly's stability in the way the base of a catapult holds as its load above gets launched. The bottom hand is the rear leg that directs and controls the stored momentum into the direction of the launch of that load.

Just my feeling.
        Last edited by Al Oha; 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Ray,

In your two swings, one of them the belly button leads all the way through. In the other one, it starts, there is a slight pause, hands move forward, then it goes again.

Why? What is different in the two swings?

Watch your zipper. In one it goes to completion, THEN you hit the ball.

In the other, you hit the ball THEN the zipper completes.

Comment

Playing with the arms weakens the first engine.

I don't know anyone with a strong first engine that has trouble getting their arm/elbow through.

Comment

When you explode the lateral tilt over the ball of the femur....you'll never have to think about your rear elbow.

Comment

Slow motion demo....but a STRONG first engine.

How do you determine that?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                    Slow motion demo....but a STRONG first engine.

How do you determine that?
                    Your bat blurs rearward, yet your hands remain near the same position to your body and your triangle remains the same. Your pull back is clearing your elbow through.

Ray, actually I was not thinking about you, I must have missed some of your posts, the only one I can think of seemed like you were down playing five fraud's bs.

Thanks all that have shared so far.

Comment

Tewks has an entire ebook on how to use the arms.

Amazing.

The only hitters with an 'elbow through' problem are those powering the swing with their arms.

Can someone make a clip of their belly button firing, leading and turning to completion (because of SnF) without their elbow getting through?

I can't do it.

When your first engine is right.....you have no desire to use your arms. You don't have time to use them. The SnF release happens so quickly that you don't have time to flop the arms around.

And when you're flopping the arms around....you eliminate the SnF FROM REACHING THE BARREL....so you have plenty of time....the hands move in front....the belly button finishes last.

Comment

@RHC - no worries. I was on FFS because he was trying to say the rear elbow ahead of the hands is an automatic flaw...

@Rich - I liked the swing on 3-22 better. The one with the tee. It felt smoother - I think was cueing myself to laterally tilt away from the SS - the one with the big tip (and the cone) felt all over the place.

Comment

Bonds hands barely move (in relation to his torso) yet his belly button has turned significantly. Rays hands are moved by his arms.

Bonds first engine is so strong and sudden that his belly button gets turned so quickly against the resistance the hands and scap provide. The system is tight....no slack....and the energy of the leg/hip DRIVES the system through the scap/spine junction. Bonds rotates about his SCIP with good angles.

Rays arms are loose and active. There is little to no resistance at the scap, to force the leg to turn the belly button. The energy from his leg/hip does not reach his arms because of the loose link in his torso. His arms are delivering the bat with momentum from the body. Ray's arms are overtaking his SCIP.

I'm not picking on anyone. I'm teaching.

Comment

Working...
                          X