Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Pre Set - Copying Mini Pronk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Set - Copying Mini Pronk

Today we decided to try and copy Steven's set up as far as how he presets the coil in his rear hip. This looks pretty good, it might be the cure/fix to get Matt hitting more consistent. He currently is on the JV team and can't get ab's - this swing is better than anyone else on his team guaranteed.

Teach - what do you think?

"Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
    "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

I like the start. I like the setup. But he loses the pull back too soon. And that causes this difference....

Ryan is pivoting open. Ryan is more open by the time he gets to footplant. Just using that as a benchmark to show the difference. That is because he has more/better rearward resistance. Matt is sliding forward then pivoting and it's after some weight has shifted.

At this point in the swing, Matt has too far to go and not enough time to get there. Ryan is deeper into the process. Notice the degree of openness of their chest/bellybutton.

I like what Matt is doing. I think it's a positive step forward. Getting his weight to stay back is the issue. Getting that pivoting action in the rear hip/leg as you move forward is key.

Comment

Ryan's chest being open, to me, means the stretch is coiling/spiraling up the body to the scap/hands/barrel. It started with the leg turning open against the hip/back/scap etc. But then the leg turned the hip open against the back/scap. Then the leg turned the back open against the scap....etc etc. Constant pulling back against an internally rotating leg, a leg that is winning, is turning Ryan open....yet....he is still loaded for bear.

Ryan's chest being open tells me that scap/spine junction is very tight.

Matt's stretch only goes so far. Stops. And that is why the launch is pushed a bit....a bity out front....instead of turned rearward.

I still think it is a good move to preset. Without worrying about swinging....as he moves out....have him pull back against his leg....until his leg turns the system open. Meter the move out and the pull back until you get the right amount of each to get the system stretched right.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
        Ryan's chest being open, to me, means the stretch is coiling/spiraling up the body to the scap/hands/barrel. It started with the leg turning open against the hip/back/scap etc. But then the leg turned the hip open against the back/scap. Then the leg turned the back open against the scap....etc etc. Constant pulling back against an internally rotating leg, a leg that is winning, is turning Ryan open....yet....he is still loaded for bear.

Ryan's chest being open tells me that scap/spine junction is very tight.

Matt's stretch only goes so far. Stops. And that is why the launch is pushed a bit....a bity out front....instead of turned rearward.

I still think it is a good move to preset. Without worrying about swinging....as he moves out....have him pull back against his leg....until his leg turns the system open. Meter the move out and the pull back until you get the right amount of each to get the system stretched right.

This swing was 10 minutes after watching Steven's clip. So with that in mind I love it in comparison to Matt's prior swings. If I can now work on the above in bold some significant progess could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

...Matt is sliding forward then pivoting and it's after some weight has shifted.
          If I may add to what Teach may be suggesting...

It appears that Matt's lateral tilt is a passive bend towards the pitcher, hence a shift, rather than a penetrating rag wring that grabs the fascia, the "white stuff" that attaches the muscle to bone (lats to the rear pelvic bone) in the lowest portion of the back in the creation of optimal lateral tilt.
          Last edited by Al Oha; 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Matt got his first start in 8 games yesterday. He went 2-3 in game one of a DH. The next game the coach batted him third. He went 0-3 with a walk and RBI but hit the ball well all three times. How do you go from not playing at all to batting third? He should have been in the lineup the previous games........

Here is a nice line drive over the pitchers head.

Comment

Very nice improvement.

Pivoting open without sliding.

Rear leg/hip assembly is working against pull backs. That's the only way that can happen.

SCIP formed.....torsion lever driven by the hip/leg assembly and pushing at the "L".....at the scap/spine junction. (pushing....a bad word....but good here)

I think he can shorten it up some.....but very nice improvement.

Comment

Comment

I hadn't thought of comparing him to the Mick!

More work to do, but yesterday should get him some more ab's.

Comment

Still fighting for play time for some reason. This was an oppo double. Pre setting his lower half has helped him a lot.

Comment

HOLY COW......that is amazing improvement.

Brandon's first year of college....the coach got/made a first impression of him.....and it wasn't good....because of his PCR swing.

He never had a legitimate chance after that....even though his swing made tremendous progress.

Hang in there.

Comment

It's very encouraing to see others that stick with it start to find success. I hope it continues for you both.

Comment

Getting more play time.

Comment

Great to see Matt getting more playing time. Best way to force yourself into the lineup: RAKE.

Comment

A little too much pine time coach, put me in there I'll hit it...

Comment

Working...
                              X